How do I set up and configure my Aspera connection? (PC Users)
The article below provides guidance for PC users. If you are a Mac user, please click here.
About Aspera Connect
Aspera Connect enables the secure connection required between DMH and your device when accelerating content download.
- Click the flame icon in the download box (see How do I download my content?)
If you have not used Aspera software on your device before, you will automatically be prompted to install Aspera Connect (see the next step).
Install or Update Aspera Connect
- Click Download latest version
- If you have used Aspera software before, you may be prompted to update your software. Click Download latest version
Once downloaded, locate the AsperaConnect....msi installer file in your device's download folder and open it.
- In the Welcome to Aspera Connect... box that opens, click Next
In the End-User License Agreement box that opens:
- Select I accept the terms in the License Agreement
- Click Next
In the Choose Setup Type box that opens:
- Click Typical
In the Ready to install Aspera Connect... box that opens:
- Click Install
In the Installing Aspera Connect... box that opens:
- The Status bar will display the software installation process
Once installed, the Completed the Aspera Connect... box will open:
- Click Finish
Once installed, Aspera Connect will automatically launch in the background during future downloads.
Configuring Aspera Connect Preferences
Locate the Aspera Connect application on your device (or click on the drop down menu when the application is open):
- Right hand click on the icon and click Preferences
In the Preferences box that opens:
- Click Bandwidth
- Set your Download Limit to: at least 10% less than your maximum available internet speed
- Set your Upload Limit to: at least 10% less than your maximum available internet speed
- Click OK
This will help avoid network saturation for other Internet access on your office network during Aspera Connect transfers. If you do not select a limit, Aspera Connect may use as much of your line speed as is available and may cause issues for other users on your network.
For further information on other Preferences, see Aspera Connect User Guide 3.7.4.
Configuring your Firewall
Some corporate networks implement strict firewall (network security) rules to prevent certain applications access. Please ensure your network administrators enable the following Inbound / Outbound ports on your firewall, in order for Aspera Connect uploads/downloads to be enabled:
- TCP/UDP 33001
For further information, see Aspera Connect User Guide 3.7.4.
The Aspera Connect plug-In supports multiple web browsers including:
- Google Chrome
However, it works better on Safari or Firefox. For further information, see Aspera Connect User Guide 3.7.4.