How do I publish and manage assets on Facebook?
Core provides users with the ability to publish, manage, and remove video and photo assets from their Facebook account.
There are two ways to publish to your Facebook account from your Core account:
- Automatic Publishing Using Core's Workflow Tools: this is recommended for the bulk publishing of assets. Assets that have commonalities or are being published to a private Facebook account for various reasons are good candidates for publishing through Core's Workflow Tools. Please contact your Wazee Digital representative here for further information
- Manual Publishing Using Core: this is recommended for assets that require more preparation (e.g. of the media and associated metadata). Generally, these are assets available for public viewing
When activating Facebook publishing through Core, authorisation from the Facebook account holder is required in order to publish assets.
Manually Publishing Assets
There are two ways to access the Publish tab in Core:
- From a search results page, choose an asset and click the yellow Edit metadata wrench icon underneath its thumbnail (this example shows the Grid View Display Option). Click on the Publish tab in the page that opens
- From the asset details page click the Publish option
The Publish Tab
- Choose an endpoint from the Select an Endpoint drop-down menu. Please note: this will display all available endpoints that the user is authorised for including YouTube, Facebook, etc.
- Click Prepare Publish
Prepare the Asset for Publishing
- Rendition: click the drop-down menu to choose your rendition file format. Please note: only Facebook compliant renditions will be displayed in the drop-down menu. Renditions will display differently on the Facebook page depending upon the type / size, and provide different viewing experiences for the end user. Facebook will not allow the same rendition to be published to the same page. Please note: the photo size for Facebook is limited to 4MB
- Pages: click the drop-down menu to choose your Facebook page. Please note: the drop-down menu is populated from Facebook on a close to real-time basis. Facebook pages are created and maintained within Facebook. Only authorised Facebook pages will be available in the drop-down menu. There is no limit on the number of Facebook pages that can be configured in Core as an endpoint (multiple Facebook pages can be associated with a Core account)
- Title: The Title field is populated two ways and is a required field for publishing to your Facebook page: 1. Title (default): defaults and pre-curated metadata is populated from Core's Title metadata field, 2. Text: is a free-form field where a user is able to type in a title. Please note: the Title displays on the full screen version of the video in Facebook
- Description: this field is populated two ways and is a required field for publishing to your Facebook page: 1. Description (default): defaults and pre-curated metadata is populated from Core's Description metadata field, 2. Text: is a free-form field where a user is able to type in a description. Please note: the Description is what displays in the Facebook post. Please note: due to Facebook limititations, Title and Description are put together as one in the published post (for example, if my Title is, "Special Strawberries" and my Description is, "Special strawberries ready for harvest" then the published post will display as, "Special Strawberries Special strawberries ready for harvest".
- Duplicate: a user can make an exact copy of the prepare publish screen, either before or after it has been prepared with metadata. This feature is useful if there are multiple items to be published with some or all of the same metadata attributes. Please note: there is no limit on the number of assets a user can duplicate
- Discard: this will delete the current asset being prepared for publishing
- Publish: after all fields above have been selected, the asset has been fully prepared with metadata, and and is ready to be sent to your Facebook page click Publish. Please note: one or multiple assets can be published to an endpoint
Published Renditions is where a user can view the status of an asset, manage the asset by modifying information, and remove an asset from the Facebook page. All published assets are shown, including ones which were published through an automated Core Workflow Tool.
- To select a rendition (or renditions) select the white box next to it (or them). To select all of the renditions select white box at the top
- Columns are sortable, click the up or down arrow to modify the sort order
- To filter within a column begin typing in the field
- Refresh the Published Renditions window
Published Rendition columns are as follows:
- Rendition displays the asset number
- The Facebook icon will open the asset in your Facebook page in a new web browser window
- Digital Endpoint displays the Endpoint type and location. In this example the rendition was published to Facebook on a page called Allison Tani Coquet
- Publish Date is when the asset was published to your Facebook page
- Published By is the user who published the asset to your Facebook page
- Status provides the current status of the asset in the Endpoint, including:
- Publish Pending: the asset is in the process of being published to your Facebook page
- Published: the asset has been published to your Facebook page
- Delete Pending: the asset is in the process of being removed from your Facebook page
- Error: to view the error select Manage and view the error message in the pop up window
To remove an asset from your Facebook page:
- Select a rendition by selecting the white box next to it (to select multiple renditions select multiple white boxes, to select all of the renditions in the Published Renditions select white box at the top)
- Click Remove Selected Rendition(s) and the Remove from Digital Endpoint box will appear
- Click Confirm Remove or Cancel to return to the previous screen
Managing Published Renditions
This is where a user is able to modify a published rendition or find out more information on the rendition. Click Manage in the Published Renditions section.
- All fields which have white titles are able to be modified or changed. The only field not able to be modified is Rendition
- After changes have been made, click Update
- To view more data regarding the published rendition click Information
- Please note: Publish Date and Modify Date will always be the same if no modifications have been made to the rendition
Viewing and Clearing Errors
- If there an error appears on a rendition whilst publishing, an Error status will appear in the Published Renditions section
- To view the error click Manage
- View the warning box to determine what action needs to be taken to rectify the error
- To clear the error click Discard Error and the rendition will be removed from Published Renditions