How do I publish and manage assets on YouTube?
Core provides users with the ability to publish, manage, and remove assets from their YouTube channels.
There are two ways to publish to your YouTube channel from your Core account:
- Automatic Publishing Using Core's Workflow Tools: this is recommended for the bulk publishing of assets. Assets that have commonalities or are being published to a private YouTube channel for Content Claiming are good candidates for publishing through Core's Workflow Tools. Please contact your Wazee Digital representative here for further information
- Manual Publishing Using Core: this is recommended for assets that require more preparation (e.g. of the media and associated metadata). Generally, these are assets available for public viewing
When activating YouTube publishing through Core, authorisation from the YouTube channel account holder is required in order to publish assets to a channel (see the authorisation link here). If the YouTube channel has monetisation activated through Google Ad Sense then the channel Content ID is also required.
Manually Publishing Assets
There are two ways to access the Publish tab in Core:
- From a search results page, choose an asset and click the yellow Edit metadata wrench icon underneath its thumbnail (this example shows the Grid View Display Option). Click on the Publish tab in the page that opens
- From the asset details page click the Publish option
The Publish Tab
- Choose an endpoint from the Select an Endpoint drop-down menu. Please note: this will display all available endpoints that the user is authorised for including YouTube, Facebook, etc.
- Click Prepare Publish
Prepare the Asset for Publishing
- Rendition: click the Select a Rendition drop-down menu to choose your rendition file format. Please note: only YouTube compliant renditions will be displayed in the drop-down menu. Renditions will display differently on the YouTube channel depending upon the type / size, and provide different viewing experiences for the end user. YouTube will not allow the same rendition to be published to the same Channel / Playlist
- Channel: click the Select a Channel drop-down menu to choose your YouTube channel. Please note: the drop-down menu is populated from YouTube on a close to real-time basis. YouTube channels are created and maintained within YouTube. Only authorised YouTube channels will be available in the drop-down menu. There is no limit on the number of YouTube channels that can be configured in Core as an Endpoint (multiple YouTube channels can be associated with a Core account)
- Permission: select the Permission you require. There are three types of YouTube Permissions supported within Core: 1. Unlisted videos and playlists can be seen and shared by anyone with the link, 2. Public videos and playlists can be seen by and shared with anyone, and 3. Private videos and playlists can only be seen by you and the users you choose. For more information see here
- Playlist(s): select the Playlist(s) that you wish to publish to. Please note: playlists are a way of grouping and organising videos within a YouTube channel. The Playlist(s) drop-down is populated from your YouTube channel on a close to real-time basis. Playlists are created, maintained and deleted from within your YouTube channel. Selecting a playlist is optional; if no playlist is selected then the asset will publish to Uploads within your YouTube channel. More than one playlist may be selected. Private playlists are populated in the drop-down menu. If a playlist is added in YouTube while preparing an asset for publishing the user should discard the current Prepare Publish and begin a new one. Newly created playlists are generally available within 5 seconds of creation within your YouTube channel.
- Monetization: toggle the Monetization option ON or OFF. This toggle is driven by the YouTube channel selected and is only available to be turned on if Monetization is activated on the YouTube channel and a Google Ad Sense account has been set up.
- Policies: if Monetization is ON and Policies have been created for the YouTube channel the integration will auto-populate the dropdown
- Custom ID is a field which follows the asset to YouTube. It is used for tracking assets and is a unique identifier. The Custom ID field allows for free form text or for the use of pre-curated metadata from Core. Valid characters for this field include; 0-9, A-Z, a-z, _ and -
- Keywords: keywords are not displayed with the YouTube channel asset but are used by users who are searching for content to view. The Keywords field is populated two ways and is not mandatory for publishing to your YouTube channel: 1. Keywords (default): defaults and pre-curated metadata is populated from Core's Keyword metadata field, 2. Text: is a free-form field where a user is able to type in additional keywords
- Title: The Title field is populated two ways and is a required field for publishing to your YouTube channel: 1. Title (default): defaults and pre-curated metadata is populated from Core's Title metadata field, 2. Text: is a free-form field where a user is able to type in a title
- Description: this field is populated two ways and is a required field for publishing to your YouTube channel: 1. Description (default): defaults and pre-curated metadata is populated from Core's Description metadata field, 2. Text: is a free-form field where a user is able to type in a description. Please note: The Description will populate in your YouTube channel with the Core asset number appended to the end
- Duplicate: a user can make an exact copy of the prepare publish screen, either before or after it has been prepared with metadata. This feature is useful if there are multiple items to be published with some or all of the same metadata attributes. Please note: there is no limit on the number of assets a user can duplicate
- Discard: this will delete the current asset being prepared for publishing
- Publish: after all fields above have been selected, the asset has been fully prepared with metadata, and and is ready to be sent to your YouTube channel click Publish. Please note: one or multiple assets can be published to an Endpoint
Published Renditions is where a user can view the status of an asset, manage the asset by modifying information, and remove an asset from the YouTube channel. All published assets are shown, including ones which were published through an automated Core Workflow Tool.
- To select a rendition (or renditions) select the white box next to it (or them). To select all of the renditions select white box at the top
- Columns are sortable, click the up or down arrow to modify the sort order
- To filter within a column begin typing in the field
- Refresh the Published Renditions window
Published Rendition columns are as follows:
- Rendition displays the asset number
- The YouTube Play icon will open the asset in your YouTube channel in a new web browser window
- Digital Endpoint displays the Endpoint type and location. In this example the rendition was published to YouTube on a channel called Workflow Services
- Publish Date is when the asset was published to your YouTube channel
- Published By is the user who published the asset to your YouTube channel
- Status provides the current status of the asset in the Endpoint, including:
- Publish Pending: the asset is in the process of being published to your YouTube channel
- Published: the asset has been published to your YouTube channel
- Delete Pending: the asset is in the process of being removed from your YouTube channel
- Error: to view the error select Manage and view the error message in the pop up window
To remove an asset from your YouTube channel:
- Select a rendition by selecting the white box next to it (to select multiple renditions select multiple white boxes, to select all of the renditions in the Published Renditions select white box at the top)
- Click Remove Selected Rendition(s) and the Remove from Digital Endpoint box will appear
- Click Confirm Remove or Cancel to return to the previous screen
Managing Published Renditions
This is where a user is able to modify a published rendition or find out more information on the rendition. Click Manage in the Published Renditions section.
- All fields which have white titles are able to be modified or changed. The only field not able to be modified is Rendition
- After changes have been made, click Update
- To view more data regarding the published rendition click Information. Please note: Publish Date and Modify Date will always be the same if no modifications have been made to the rendition
Viewing and Clearing Errors
- If there an error appears on a rendition whilst publishing, an Error status will appear in the Published Renditions section
- To view the error click Manage
- View the warning box to determine what action needs to be taken to rectify the error
- To clear the error click Discard Error and the rendition will be removed from Published Renditions